Compiled by Team IAnD
Photography: Courtesy v2com
La Prairie, Canada’s Le 1650 is a 3,700 sq. m. mixed-use dynamically upbeat building with a remarkably energy efficient soul…
Designed by the multidisciplinary firm, A2Design, who’ve developed the plans for the entire structure in addition to overseeing its actual construction, the modern facility, bold in design with sharp angles to clearly distinguish it, as it otherwise seamlessly integrates into the surrounding environment, has a unique signature style.
Le 1650 includes a main level available for lease, while the 1st and 2nd floors house clinics belonging to co-owners, Dr. Daniel Godin, orthodontist, and Dr. Alain St-Onge, dentist. Crowning this new facility is a sweeping rooftop terrace, adjacent to a conference room fashioned for training purposes.
Distinctive traits include the building’s bulk and protective aluminium canopy connecting the main entrance to the parking area. Expansive windows disseminate an abundance of natural light into the neutral-toned minimalist, aesthetic spaces.
Eco-friendly solutions abide, namely the use of noble and sustainable materials, sourced locally for the most part. Furthermore, a geo-thermic system of ground-source heat pumps, also known as an Earth-Energy System (EES), has been installed. This network is made up of 24 wells dug to a depth of 150 meters in order to draw heat up from the ground in winter and redirect it back in the summer months, rendering the building remarkably energy efficient: one kilowatt of electricity returns between three to four kilowatts of heat. All lighting fixtures are LED to reduce energy consumption and extend fixture life cycle. The parking area has been outfitted with charging stations for electric vehicles.
As a result of this endeavour, A2Design has contributed to the enhancement of the image conveyed by Dr. Alain St-Onge’s dental clinic along with the upgrade of his new offices, including the state-of the-art treatment rooms and inviting consult room. To soften the aseptic atmosphere, they incorporated oak-stained furnishings and beams, while subtly accentuating the walls using architectural details in linear patterns similar to those found on the clinic’s stationery.